State Superintendent’s Memo #173-17, dated June 9, 2017, summarizes legislation passed by the 2016 and 2017 Virginia General Assemblies that directly impacts individuals applying for an initial license or seeking renewal of a license.
- As of July 1, 2017, every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license is required to complete awareness training on the indicators of dyslexia and the evidence-based interventions and accommodations for dyslexia.
- As of September 1, 2017, every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license shall provide evidence of completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrillators.
- As of July 1, 2017, every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license with an endorsement as a school counselor shall complete training in the recognition of mental health disorder and behavioral distress, including depression, trauma, violence, youth suicide, and substance abuse.
In addition, please note that:
- Any individual licensed and endorsed to teach middle school civics or economics or high school government or history seeking renewal must complete a module or professional development course specifically related to Virginia history or state and local government.
- Every teacher seeking an initial license with an endorsement in the area of career and technical education shall have an industry certification credential in the area in which the teacher seeks endorsement.
Please refer to the Superintendent’s Memo for additional resources, training and information.