As this school year comes to an end, we wanted to provide a preview of recycling for next year. We will be issuing a request for proposals soon for waste and recycling services. Since the closure of van der Linde’s mixed waste facility, we are no longer recovering recyclable materials from the waste stream (blue dumpsters). The majority of schools are already capturing cardboard in the green recycling dumpster. For schools that do not have space for a green dumpster, we will be offering rolling carts for recyclable collection. We are piloting the classroom collection at a few schools now and will take any lessons learned into the next school year. The green dumpsters and recycling carts can accept cardboard, paper, plastics, aluminum, and glass.
We plan to expand recycling collection and offer two levels of participation for schools.
- Option 1: Schools can choose to add collection containers in common areas (Cafeteria, Media Center, Front Office, Workrooms).
- Option 2: Schools can choose to have a collection container in common areas and classrooms. The classroom containers would be brought to a recycling cart in a common area. Student involvement in the classroom collection will be encouraged.
Easier Collection for Batteries and “Techno-Trash”
Have any old batteries or techno-trash laying around your classroom? By using the internal mailing system (Pony), anyone in the ACPS system can send their batteries and techno-trash to be recycled without hassle!
Simply gather old household batteries that have come from school devices or any other techno-trash (see below for list of items) present in your classroom. Place them in an envelope marked for “Warehouse Recycling” and send them through the Pony system
Important: Please ensure that batteries are taped to cover both ends before placing in envelope to send.
Techno-trash Items include:
- Media: CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs, Blu-ray, 3.5” and 5.25” floppy disks, zip and jazz disks, and cases
- Tapes: VHS, audio cassette tapes, DAT, DLT, Beta, and Digibeta
- Small electronics: MP3 players, iPods, hand-held CD and cassette players, and digital cameras
- Miscellaneous items: UPS units, AC chargers, keyboards, mice, modems, routers, headphones, cords, adaptors, cables, boards, and chips
Toner cartridges that cannot be returned to the manufacturer can also be sent to the warehouse for recycling. Please contact Building Services for delivery if you have large amounts of materials.
Please contact John Coles, Environmental, Health & Safety Coordinator, if you have any questions.