In addition to learning options being provided to students and their families by teachers across the school division, homes will also be able to tune into “VA TV Classroom” on weekday afternoons. This new service is being provided by public radio and television stations in partnership with the Virginia Department of Education. Instruction for students in grades K-12 supports the state’s academic standards and expands learning opportunities, especially for students who are unable to access other distance learning options because their home lacks access to high-speed internet.
The “VA TV Classroom” on-air schedule includes:
- K-3 instruction from 1 to 2 p.m. with Standards of Learning-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media. “Learn to Grow with WHRO” segments will be 15 minutes in length and led by teachers.
- Grades 7-10 instruction from 2 to 3 p.m. with SOL-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media focusing on Earth Science and Algebra 1.
- During the week of April 27, “VA TV Classroom” will add a special hour from 3 to 4 p.m. called “AP Prep Week,” with content provided by Virtual Virginia—in collaboration with WHRO—focusing on a different AP subject each day. The hour will include two 30-minute segments.
“VA TV Classroom” can be seen throughout the Commonwealth on the following channels:
- WHRO World via antenna 15.2, Cox 107 and Verizon FiOS 460
- VPM Plus:
- Richmond area via antenna 57.1, Verizon FiOS 24 and 524 (HD), Comcast 24 & 797 (HD), DIRECTV 57, DISH 57 and 9392 (HD)
- Charlottesville area via antenna 41.2, Comcast 265 (HD) and 1146 (HD)
- Shenandoah Valley via antenna 51.2, Comcast 9, 798 (HD) and 1042 (HD)
- WETA PBS Kids via antenna 26.3, Comcast 266, Cox 801, Verizon FiOS 472 and RCN 38
- Blue Ridge PBS (SWVAPTV) via antenna 15.2, streaming services Blue Ridge Streaming and Project Southwest on YouTube, Citizens Cable 82, Cox 107, Comcast/Xfinity 264, Lumos 17 (Shentel, Bedford, Covington, Glade Hill, Radford, Rocky Mount, Rustburg, Wytheville: 157
- In the county’s viewing area, this instruction can be accessed via antenna 41.2, Comcast 265 (HD) and 1146 (HD).
This programming can serve as a supplement to ACPS-developed learning activities and may help us support those families who cannot access online learning opportunities.
Sample Learning Plan Schedule: Learning Plus: Educational television for learning at home (April 13-17, 2020)