In response to our recent calendar survey, nearly 2,000 employees, students, parents/guardians, and community members provided feedback on two calendar options for next school year. We sincerely appreciate your participation. Based on your input and that of the Superintendent’s Cabinet, the ACPS Calendar Committee has created a third draft of the 2023-24 School Year Calendar to propose to the school board:
Draft 3 of the calendar maintains Wednesday, August 23, 2023, as the first day of school for students, and Friday, June 7, 2024, as the last day of school for students, and includes a traditional three-day Thanksgiving holiday and a full two-week Winter Break. Compared to the previous two drafts, Draft 3 reflects the following changes:
- The professional development (PD) day on Monday, September 18, has moved to Friday, September 29.
- The teacher workday on Tuesday, October 31, has moved to Friday, October 27, with Quarter 1 ending on Thursday, October 26.
- The teacher workday on Friday, January 19, has moved to Thursday, January 25, with Quarter 2 ending on Wednesday, January 24.
- The PD day on Tuesday, January 2, has moved to Friday, January 26.
- The teacher workday on Friday, March 29, has moved to Thursday, March 28, with Quarter 3 ending on Wednesday, March 27.
- The PD day on Friday, March 15, has moved to Friday, March 29.
- The PD day on Friday, April 26, is now a full day of learning for students.
The Calendar Committee will present Draft 3 to the school board for review on January 12, 2023. The board is scheduled to approve the calendar two weeks later on January 26. Both meetings will include an opportunity for community members to offer public comment.
For more information about our calendar development process, including access to previous drafts and our survey results, please visit our 2023-24 Calendar Development web page. For information about providing public comment at school board meetings, please visit the School Board homepage.