Attention all employees! Calendar development for the 2023-24 school year is underway! At this time, the ACPS Calendar Committee, which is composed of teachers, parents/guardians, and school and central office administrators, invites you to provide feedback on two draft calendars for next school year. In creating these drafts, the committee considered past feedback from students, employees, families, and community members, and prioritized the following goals:
- Create a calendar that best supports our efforts to engage students, improve opportunities and achievement, and get the most productivity out of our resources.
- Enable time for professional learning and collaboration that supports, in particular, our strategies around culturally responsive teaching and professional learning communities.
- Build in time for teachers to work individually on such tasks as updating lesson plans, grading assignments, preparing materials, etc.
- Preserve two full weeks for Winter Break and one full week (the first week of April) for Spring Break.
- Limit the number of half-days for students.
Both drafts of the 2023-24 calendar include Wednesday, August 23, 2023, as the first day of school for students, and Friday, June 7, 2024, as the last day of school for students. The only difference between the two drafts is the days we will observe the Thanksgiving holiday and Winter Break:
- Draft 1 proposes a traditional three-day Thanksgiving holiday (Wednesday-Friday, Nov. 22-24) and a Winter Break that starts on Monday, Dec. 18.
- Draft 2 includes a full week for the Thanksgiving holiday (Monday-Friday, Nov. 20-24) and proposes a slightly shorter Winter Break that begins on Wednesday, Dec. 20.
Please click the buttons below to review our two calendar drafts, and then share your thoughts by completing our calendar survey by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, December 7:
Note: While we started our calendar planning process in collaboration with Charlottesville City Schools, the two advisory groups expressed different scheduling needs, which are reflected in our respective calendar drafts. We value our relationship with Charlottesville’s Calendar Committee and remain open to future collaboration.
Thank you in advance for your participation. The calendar committee will consider your feedback at their next meeting on December 12. For more information about our calendar development process, please visit our 2023-24 Calendar Development web page.