The following message was issued from Nelsie Birch, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for Albemarle County, on Friday, February 3, 2023:
On Wednesday, we launched the Fraud, Waste & Abuse Reporting System, an anonymous incident reporting website. Albemarle County’s mission is to enhance the well-being and quality of life for all community members through the provision of the highest level of public service consistent with the prudent use of public funds.
Residents, taxpayers, and employees may report concerns regarding fraud, waste, or abuse in Albemarle County Government or Albemarle County Public Schools using this confidential and secure website or via telephone at 434-243-7944. Due to our phone system’s caller-id function, phone calls will not be anonymous.
Types of concerns that may be reported include:
- Fraud: An illegal act involving the obtaining of something of value from the County or Schools through willful misrepresentation
- Waste: Mismanagement or inadequate oversight of County/School property, resources or funds, including incurring unnecessary costs because of inefficient or ineffective practices, systems, or controls
- Abuse: Intentional destruction, diversion, or misuse of County/School property or resources, including the misuse of authority or a position for personal gain
- Illegal Acts: Violations of laws or government regulations by a County/School employee in connection with their position
- Conflicts of Interest: Personal interests that conflict with the official duties of a County/School employee, resulting in a real or perceived conflict of interest
More information can be found on this Sharepoint site.
Employees should make efforts to resolve any concerns or issues through the administrative process and/or supervisory management before reporting to this system. The third party tool is available for anonymous reporting and is not to be used for retaliation or complaints about employee disagreements.
Annually, a high-level report will be provided to the Audit Committee—a joint committee of the Board of Supervisors and School Board—of activity and general outcomes. This report will maintain the anonymity of the process and outcomes.
Email ReportFraud@albemarle.org with any questions.