Albemarle County Public Schools (ACPS) is excited this year to add a Leader of the Year award to our annual employee recognition program! We value our amazing school leaders and their commitment to supporting academic success for all students, improving instruction, creating a positive and welcoming school environment, cultivating leadership, building strong family and community partnerships, and achieving the goals of our strategic plan.
Please help us recognize and celebrate our outstanding school leaders by working with your school to nominate a principal, assistant principal, or central office leader for our 2024 Leader of the Year award! School and department communities may come together to nominate a leader for this award. (Nominations should come from a team in the school or department; self-nominations will not be accepted.) Ideally, a group of staff, students and/or families would work together to gather support around nominating a specific leader in their school or department. That group should work with the nominee to ensure they are willing to be nominated and confirm that the leader’s supervisor concurs with the nomination. A few staff members should take point and lead the process of completing the nomination packet. Nomination packets are due by the end of the day on January 15, 2024.
The ACPS Leader of the Year should:
- Be a current principal, assistant principal, central office director or assistant director, or lead coach who has served ACPS as a leader in that role for at least the last 3 years.
- Embody the mission, vision, values and goals outlined in the ACPS strategic plan.
- Manage the school or department effectively.
- Foster collaboration and a team atmosphere within the school division and between the school and the community.
- Maintain strong communication with students, faculty and staff, and the community.
- Stay current with best practices in their field and leadership.
- Demonstrate and encourage creativity and innovation.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Culturally Responsive Teaching, equitable practices, and inclusive school environments.
A committee of ACPS leaders, staff and parents/guardians will review the nominations and provide feedback on them to the Superintendent’s Cabinet. The Cabinet will select one nominee for recognition as 2024 Leader of the Year. The Leader of the Year award winner will receive a plaque, a cash award of $500 (as will the teacher and classified employee of the year), and the opportunity to address the school board at a recognition ceremony in the spring.
Thank you in advance for participating in this process. We look forward to recognizing and celebrating our outstanding leaders!