Volume 1, Issue 9
Board Meeting Highlights
Following are highlights from the school board work session on January 25, 2024. You can view the full Jan. 25 meeting agenda in ESB. You can also watch a recording of the Jan. 25 meeting on our YouTube page.
2024-25 School Year Calendar
The school board approved the Recommended 2024-25 School Year Calendar that was presented for information on January 11. More information about the development process is available on the Calendar Development web page.
Questions? Contact Jamie Gellner.
Schematic Designs: AHS 2nd Floor Connector Project & High School Center II
Staff presented a schematic design for the AHS 2nd Floor Connector Project. The AHS and WAHS High School Master Plan, completed in 2022, prioritized a second floor connector wing at AHS to improve circulation throughout the building, add classroom capacity, and provide improved teacher professional space. Approval will be requested at the February 8 school board meeting.
Division staff and Quinn Evans Architects provided an update on the schematic design for High School Center II. The board approved the schematic design and directed staff to proceed with design development.
Questions? Contact Lindsay Snoddy.
Budget Work Session
The Budget Work Session took place in two parts. The first part included a presentation of projected FY 25 state revenues and the implications of the 2024-2026 Governor’s Introduced Budget. In the second part, staff provided detailed information about the FY 25 Baseline Expenditure Budget to increase understanding of the major components of the ACPS budget.
Questions? Contact Maya Kumazawa.
In case you missed them, check out these recent press releases:
January 26, 2024 | Albemarle County Public Schools Partners with Scripps National Spelling Bee
TeacherDirect is a weekly newsletter designed to provide a direct line of communication between the Virginia Department of Education and classroom teachers and educators. Subscribe to TeacherDirect to receive weekly updates from VDOE via email!
Some highlights from the January 24 issue include:
- Participate in the VKRP Teacher Feedback Survey!
- SURN Joy of Literacy & Literature Conference – February 27
- VCEE Free Professional Development Opportunities
- Multilingual Learners 101 Workshop – March 14
- Save the Date: Virginia Military Signing Day Event – May 17
- And more!
Virginia Education Update Newsletter
Virginia Education Update is a weekly newsletter from Dr. Coons, Superintendent of Public Instruction, that serves to communicate official information from the Virginia Department of Education to school divisions.
The January 18 edition contains items that may be of interest to teachers and other school division employees, such as:
- Nominations for the 2025 Mary V. Bicouvaris Teacher of the Year Program – Due February 8
- Public Comment on Lab School Application from Mountain Gateway Community College – Due February 1
- Upcoming Live Zearn Math Trainings
- Accepting Applications for the Hometown Teacher Program
- Release of the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP) Participation Decision-Making Tool and Accompanying Frequently Asked Questions Document